Monday, January 10, 2011

Back at it

I'm going to try and get back into writing fairly regularly with a new theme to go along with my random thoughts and hatred for Apple. For the past two months, I have started to get back into online poker. I played for a couple years in college and turned a $20 donation into a couple thousand dollars that I used to help pay the rent. When I stopped playing online my senior year in college, I was a slightly winning player, but mostly breakeven, at the $50 NL Hold 'Em tables ($50 being the 100 big blind buy-in, so $.25/$.50 blinds). I mainly was relying on rakeback to help me stay profitable. I didn't know much about the game of hold 'em poker and certainly didn't possess the tools to play well in the online world.

This time around, I have approached the game completely different. I have started to read several poker books that have allowed me to learn the game and become a better player. Even things as simple as position, continuation betting, 3 betting, etc. were mostly foreign to me before I started to read. All of these things I now fully understand, but I still have to learn how to best apply techniques.

So far, I have been fairly profitable. I started by multi-tabling two tables at the $10 NL tables and was successful enough to move to the $25 NL tables after about a month. I am currently multi-tabling with six tables (6-max games) at $25 NL stakes despite having a bankroll sufficient to move up in stakes to $50 NL. The reason I am currently staying at $25 NL is because I still feel that I have several concepts that I need to master before I essentially double the stakes. When I previously played online, I moved up in stakes before I was ready. I was still profitable at $50 NL, but didn't understand the game well enough to play there. I want to do things differently this time around. I don't need the money, so I can take my time as I move up the chains. I'm planning on building a bankroll sufficient to comfortably multi-table the $100 or $200 NL stakes. That will take time to build and I still have much to learn.

I plan on using this blog to talk about my poker experiences in addition to what I have been using it for in the past. The internet filter at my job has had the website blocked for sometime, which hadn't allowed me to use it as much. I'd like to get back it.

No comments:

Post a Comment